Microdermabrasion in NYC
Microdermabrasion is a procedure for precise, controlled exfoliation of the superficial layer of the skin. This procedure can reveal younger-looking skin, improve discoloration, decrease pore size, and help prevent acne.
A Brightening, Toning, and Cleansing Treatment: How Does Microdermabrasion Work?
When you arrive for your microdermabrasion appointment, you’ll check in and be taken back to the procedure room. The process is relatively simple. An instrument with a diamond tip will be used to gently sweep your skin, removing the dead skin cells and revealing the fresh cells beneath. The instrument also vacuums the dead cells away from the face, leaving a clean, smooth appearance with no discomfort and minimal downtime. Pores will also be cleaned and decongested in the process, minimizing pore size. This is a New York City “lunchtime procedure”.
Getting Ready: How Should You Prepare for Your Microdermabrasion Appointment in NYC?
- In the week leading up to your appointment, it’s important to avoid certain other treatments, such as facial waxing, laser treatments, threading, electrolysis, chemical peels or other exfoliating beauty treatments.
- For five days before treatment, avoid injectable treatments like Botox and Juvederm
- For three days before treatment, steer clear of topical retinoid and anti-aging skin creams, acne treatments, bleaches and excessive sun exposure.
- The day of your appointment, avoid wearing makeup and be sure to arrive early enough to discuss any concerns with your dermatologist. Make it known if you suffer from facial or nasal herpes, also known as cold sores.
Aftercare: How Should You Protect Your Skin?
- Don’t use any unapproved topical products for 72 hours following your treatment. You can use products that are recommended by your dermatologist, but avoid anything you're unsure about.
- After 72 hours, you can begin using a gentle moisturizer and facial wash, such as Avene Tolerance Extreme and Elta MD Foaming face wash.
- Don’t wear heavy makeup for the first few days.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for the first week. If you need to spend time outside, be sure to wear a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection with SPF 30 or higher.
NYC Microdermabrasion Q&A
Can I go back to work immediately after a microdermabrasion treatment?
One of the biggest benefits of this type of treatment is that there is no downtime. Commonly referred to as a “lunchtime procedure”, you can go back to work on the same day. Other than a slight dryness or mild irritation, you should not experience any discomfort.
What are the benefits of microdermabrasion over other procedures?
Microdermabrasion is effective and safe for use on the face, chest, back, arms, legs, and hands, whereas chemical peels and other treatments are only recommended for the face. If the right type of microdermabrasion machine is used, it can also reduce pore size by declogging congested pores. It also offers much less discomfort and a much less downtime than many other procedures.
Who should avoid microdermabrasion?
The microdermabrasion treatment can be customized to meet the needs of the patient. For example, an older patient with thinner, weaker skin can receive a treatment that’s gentler than a younger patient with skin that isn’t very sensitive. However, people with certain skin conditions/disorders should avoid the procedure, so ask your dermatologist whether this procedure is right for you. If you suffer from a condition that leaves open sores or blisters on your face or lips, have recently been sunburned, or have an active rash/inflammation, your skin is likely too sensitive for the procedure. Ask your dermatologist about options for treating your condition. If you’re able to clear up the problem, you might qualify for microdermabrasion later.
How many treatments are required?
We recommend monthly microdermbrasion treatments for continued maintenance of decongested pores and vibrant, clear skin.
Will microdermabrasion remove scars?
The treatment may lessen the appearance of mild scars over time. However, it is not recommended for treating deep or large scars.
Does microdermabrasion works on acne scars, wrinkles, or blackheads?
Yes, microdermabrasion can help the brown discoloration that result from acne, and can even help with preventing or reducing acne by deep cleansing the skin. It can also reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles, large pores, and blackheads.
How soon will results appear?
You’ll notice an improvement in the look, feel, and texture of your skin right away. It might take serial treatments to noticeably reduce the appearance of discoloration.
WHY SHOULD I HAVE MICRODERMABRASION PERFORMED AT WALL STREET DERMATOLOGY?
We utilize the best of the medical-grade microdermabrasion system on the market. Our equipment is sterilized in a medical autoclave prior to every use, ensuring hygienic safety for all of our patients. Your procedure will also be performed by our dermatologist.
For more information on the microdermabrasion process, please contact Wall Street Dermatology today.
Call Wall Street Dermatology to schedule a consultation with us today.