Allergic contact dermatitis is a common skin condition resulting from a specific type of inflammatory reaction of the skin triggered by specific chemicals in the environment to which the skin is exposed. The specific triggering substance may or may not be identifiable, but can include common substances such as the resins from poison ivy to nickel from earrings and belt buckles.
Allergic contact dermatitis often presents itself as an itchy pink rash that can be found anywhere on the skin, often depending on where and how long the exposure initially took place. Treatment begins with identification and avoidance of the triggering chemical if possible. Topical and oral medications are available treatments depending on the location and severity of the allergic contact dermatitis. Patch testing is often performed when no known source can be easily identified.
If you have a rash you are worried may be allergic contact dermatitis, contact Wall Street Dermatology for a consultation today.